Monday 29 March 2010

4-Page Magazine Article

With the sudden downfall of ‘In Before You’, a band who have scarred the country with it’s disastrous songs, Lauren Zane thought this was the end of her career. But boy, was she wrong.

As a back-up singer, she did not have a major role in this so called ‘best band of 2007’ (an award granted by NME awards); it was something that she hated doing. But a catastrophic turn by the band from ‘electric’ to ‘punk’ music in 2009, turned the public against the band, who have now shamefully disappeared out of the music industry. Lauren flinches at the memory of even being the back-up of such a terrible band.

‘I used to hate being the back-up, clicking my fingers and shuffling my feet, but once things started going wrong, it made it easy to detach myself from it all.’ She was spotted by Columbian Records in early 2009, who have helped her change her appearance to alienate her from the emo/punk image that ‘In Before You’ had previously created. She shivers at a photo of her back then, and is more than willing to talk about her future rather than her past.

Today, Lauren sits comfortably on a couch in the studio, in casual high-street clothes, chatting and laughing to the people around her. Who would have thought this back-up singer would be at the top of the music world?

‘I was in numb shock when I was offered a contract with Columbian Records! I had been working on a few songs myself, and with the help of some of the writers I had a complete album.’ She still seems dumbstruck at this prospect. Columbian Records, who have also launched the albums of Kings of Leon and Kesha, have influenced Lauren’s debut album. Released only 8 months ago, it has won a Brit award and an NME music award. ‘I just couldn’t believe it when they said my name up there. I had practiced speeches since I was five in front of mirrors, but I totally f***** it up on the night with my stutters, it was so shocking!’

This nineteen year-old star has smashed the tables with her single ‘Kiss My Brain’, that has won an MTV video music award, a ‘Q’ award and reached out as far as a Grammy. Lauren’s shelves must be loaded with trophies and medals, and all from a solo career over the 12 months?

The British public have welcomed Lauren with open arms and nominated her as best female artist at the Brit awards. ‘I wasn’t expecting for the public to like me at all, I don’t even like myself!’ She may not expect people to like her, but she can’t deny people loving her music.

As a child, she put her heart into music and drama lessons, not concerned with future financial issues, only following her passion of singing. Gaining a spot in ‘In Before You’ thanks to her college bestfriend Frank Stanley (who also happenned to be the lead singer) was what she believed to be, the start of a successful music career. But with rivalry from The Temper Trap and Kings of Leon, a small band with unsuccessful punk songs that wasonly famous for a short period of time, is not destined to go far.

Being a professional singer - if the awards don’t speak for themselves, let Lauren's grade 8 singing diploma and life-long experience prove otherwise. ‘I have loved singing since I was in the womb, I swear.’ Lauren carries a warm aura around her, captivating not only the staff here, but the public too. If her talent isn’t convincing enough, her great social life, volunteer work and hilarious persona are bound to change that. Her appearance on ‘Mock the Week’ has impressed the country, and she has even been asked to appear as a regular on the show. ‘That has definitely been the highlight of 2010 so far, it’s one of my favourite TV programmes!’

When asked about the future, Lauren proudly lists a bunch of gig performances, TV appearances and ends by revealing her live tour that will launch in October 2010. ‘It’s all happening so fast, everything and everyone seems to be moving around me and I’m just here with my tea. I mean, if you told me a year ago this was going to happen, I would have laughed in your face.’

2009; a turning point for Lauren Zane. The destruction of the failing band ‘In Before You’ and unexpected launch of a fantastic solo career.


No comments:

Post a Comment